This 8 Week Compassionate Mind Training (CMT) programme course was developed by Irons & Heriot-Maitland (2020), adapted from the ground-breaking work of internationally renowned psychologist and creator of Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Professor Paul Gilbert.
During the course, participants will learn:
• how our minds are naturally susceptible to getting caught up in to negative thinking-emotion ‘loops’
• about the ‘three emotion systems’ model, and how many of us can get stuck in emotional imbalance
• what compassion is, what attributes help to facilitate it, what can block it, and how we can train our minds in it
• that compassion can come in three different ‘flows’ – to others (compassion for others), from others (compassion from others) and to ourselves (self-compassion)
• to develop skills to balance their emotions by developing skills in mindfulness and compassion
Participants will have the opportunity to develop skills in:
• Mindfulness – we will explore the power of attention and awareness, and practice a variety of mindfulness exercises that can help people to develop greater attentional stability
• Breathing – practicing how certain types of breathing rhythm help to sooth and calm the body, and consequentially, the mind
• Compassion – we will explore how to develop your ‘compassionate mind’ through a variety of practices, including those involving memory, imagery, embodied action, emotion and thinking.
Participants will be asked to do in-between session skills training practice, guided by audio files and written material.
This course is in part build upon the wonderful work of Professor Paul Gilbert